We are excited to release our first ever ‘State of the Mainframe’ report. This report, which came from our first survey of mainframe users conducted in the second half of 2017, we garnered great insight across 145 participants representing significant organizations both larger and small that leverage mainframe technology. The purpose of the study was to:
- Provide insights into current users’ perceptions of mainframe technology in general, and Linux on the mainframe specifically
- Gauge current and planned usage/consideration of mainframe technology in general, and Linux Linux on the mainframe specifically
- Identify perceived gaps, barriers and myths/misperceptions around Linux on the mainframe specifically
- Understand the impact of the cloud on mainframe and Linux usage
Some key insights from the whitepaper include:
- Both users and non-users of Linux on Mainframe generally agree on Linux on Mainframe’s strengths of performance, security, and cost reduction.
- The growth of Cloud Computing is perceived as an augment to mainframe, not as a replacement.
- Mainframe will continue to have a key role in an ever hybrid computing world.